We all need to relax every now and then. Relaxation, stress relief and improved health go hand in hand, and we all want to be healthy and performing our best. However a massage or spa weekend or non-working vacation is not always something we can squeeze into our budgets, much less our busy schedules.
What if we want to find some simple ways to relax without breaking the bank? There are many of them out there and it’s easier than you think!
Here is a list of ideas for zero cost ways to relax:
- Light Exercise. A great way to relax is getting some light exercise. This can mean going for a walk around the neighborhood or playing a low impact sport. Exercise has been known to help the body relax and engaging in non-intense exercise will help your mind to unwind as well.
- Meditation. Taking up meditation is one of the most relaxing activities you can engage in for free. All you need to do is sit in silence and focus on your breath. When negative thoughts arise, acknowledge them, and then let them go. Try doing this for 5-20 minutes each day.
- Take a Nap. Babies and toddlers aren’t the only ones that can benefit from a nap! You may even feel relaxed and rejuvenated after a simple 15-minute snooze. You don’t need to completely fall asleep to benefit from this activity.
- Shoot the Breeze. Go to a friend’s house or talk to a friend on the phone. Chances are you have one of those friends that you can chat with as if no time has gone by since you last talked. Old friends usually provide great opportunities to talk about the good old days.
- Listen to Music. Grab the MP3 player and chill out with some great tunes. Pick out a group of songs that you find especially relaxing or rejuvenating. Classical and other light songs usually work best for naps, while music you just got to dance to is great for replenishing your energy during a long day.
- Read a Book. Go check out a new book from the local library and start reading. It may even be a fun activity to read one of your favorite books over again.
- Take a Hot Bath. Take a hot bath or shower. If you’re taking a bath, add in bubble bath soap, play some music you enjoy, and remember to turn off your phone ringer. This is a simple way to have some peaceful time just for you.
- Look at Old Photos. Bring out some old photos from your childhood or the photos from a fun trip you took. Remembering some of your treasured moments will make you smile and relax for sure.
- Play Board Games. When was the last time you played your favorite board game? Dust off the old Monopoly or Scrabble, prepare some snacks, and play a few games with your family or partners. Incidentally this is also a great team building activity for you and your employees. It’ll be fun for all!
- Daydream. Allow your mind to wander and dream. Escape to where you’d like to travel one day. Think about what your life will be like in the next 5, 10, or 15 years and write these thoughts down in a journal for you to read later.
These are just 10 simple ideas when it comes to relaxing the zero cost way. Stay creative and remember that it’s okay (and healthy) to not be in motion every second of every. You can either hang around doing some self-reflection, or you can hang out with friends or family, whatever it is, do something fun!